"St. Hilda’s Abbey, Whitby"
The ancient ruins of the Abbey dominate the East Cliff and have long been used as a landmark by seamen.
This has been a religious site since 657 A.D. when King Oswy of Northumberland founded St. Hilda’s Saxon Monastery. The early building was destroyed by Vikings and was refounded in 1077.
1989 saw the 450th Anniversary of the Abbey’s dissolution by King Henry VIII.
Caedmon, the first English poet lived and worked here as a cowherd. Perhaps this thought did not escape Sutcliffe as he was taking this photograph