Ruswarp Mill on the River Esk. A four mill has existed on this site since 1752 when it was built to the order of Nathaniel Cholmley, Lord of the Manor of Whitby. When this photograph was taken it was owned by Col. Cholmley.
On September 24th 1911 the mill was severely damaged by fire. Below is a short extract from the Whitby Gazette :- “Between 2.30 and 3 o' clock on Monday morning the old mill at Ruswarp was discovered on fire in the topmost storey, at the Eastern end and the flames spread so rapidly that in the short space of less than an hour, roof, floors machinery, flour stores and everything were in flaming mass. Belching forth fire and smoke red hot wood embers the 4ft. outer walls enclosing consuming heat of great intensity. It appears that Mr C. Harrow went to work at the mill a little after 1. 0' clock in the morning and all was right in the upper floor when he descends at about 2 o' clock. About half an hour later hearing from below some crackling noises he went upstairs and was startled to find the place on fire. Mr Harrow knocked up the proprietor Mr Henry Bell from his house which is but separated by the width of a passage from the mill at the Eastern end and together they ran to the cottage of the Police Constable Thomas Cutter in the middle of the village. The constable with the utmost promptitude ran half way up Ruswarp Bank to the house of Mr Young who is connected up with the telephone system at Whitby. He gave the alarm to the Whitby Police Station and to the Whitby fire brigade and returned at once to the scene of the fire.”
Mr Henry Bell, the proprietor of the mill, is understood to have been indifferently insured and made some heavy losses amounting to several thousand pounds. The mill was later sold to Thomas Hay who also had a mill in Northallerton.