“The Dock End, Whitby in 1880”
The ‘Alert’ on the right, was built as a sloop at Whitby in 1802 by
G. and N. Langborne, and later converted to a schooner. When this photograph was taken she was owned by Anthony Jackson and Edward Barker. Lying at the left are the ‘Lively’, ‘Sara’ and ‘Hopewell’.
This was one of Frank Sutcliffe's most successful photographs, both from an artistic and commercial viewpoint. His daughter, Irene once wrote:
‘..... that this was the first glimpse that visitors to Whitby had of the old town, and also the last they saw of it on their departure, so this is probably why it sold so well.’ At that time most visitors came by train and the entrance to the station was opposite the Dock End.