“Quayside Fish Stall, Whitby”
Taken by Sutcliffe circa 1880 it depicts one of the numerous local fish stalls situated in the New Quay area. These were usually owned by the fisherwomen of the town.
On the reverse of an old copy of this photograph, Sutcliffe had unusually written the names of the people. They are from left to right: Susan Backhouse, Nelly Backhouse, Hannah Wastell, Tom Gains, Mr Hoskins and Dolly Gains. The bucket dredger ‘Sampson’ can be seen in the background at the left.