“St. Mary’s under Snow”
Taken from above Henrietta Street on the East Cliff with St. Mary’s Parish Church at the left. Unusually, there is a good covering of snow on Tate Hill Sands near the harbourside. Normally this would have been quickly thawed by the salt-laden air.
The interior of the Church is particularly interesting in having a triple decker pulpit and public galleries which were accessed by an outside staircase. The first documented record of the Church is found in a charter of Earl Alan de Percy which dates from about 1120 A.D.
The view across the town shows the spire of West Cliff Congregational Church founded in 1770 with the sails of Union Mill in the distance.