Ref: C18 *
Ref: C18 *

*
“The Diamond’ of Scarborough”
‘The Diamond’ was a 31 ton sailing ketch, she was 51ft long and had been built in 1844. She was the first ship to be registered at Scarborough on 5th March 1869 since compulsory registration of fishing vessels began with the Sea Fisheries Act of 1868. She carried the number SH1 until 1875 when she gave up the fishing industry and became a humble collier bringing coal from either Blyth or Hartlepool. The 'Diamond' was owned by Captian William McLean and is seen here on Sandsend beach. About this time -1887 - best household coals cost 14/-s per ton.

Ref: C18 *

*
“The Diamond’ of Scarborough”
‘The Diamond’ was a 31 ton sailing ketch, she was 51ft long and had been built in 1844. She was the first ship to be registered at Scarborough on 5th March 1869 since compulsory registration of fishing vessels began with the Sea Fisheries Act of 1868. She carried the number SH1 until 1875 when she gave up the fishing industry and became a humble collier bringing coal from either Blyth or Hartlepool. The 'Diamond' was owned by Captian William McLean and is seen here on Sandsend beach. About this time -1887 - best household coals cost 14/-s per ton.